Note: Start these sandwiches the day before to save time the day of the Big Game. They can be made in full-sized sandwiches or as sliders if served with other dishes.
Cabbage Marinade Ingredients
1/4 head red cabbage, shaved
1 teaspoon fish sauce
1/2 teaspoon sriracha
Juice of 1/2 lime
1 whole radish, shaved
1/2 red onion, shaved
4 tablespoons soy sauce
4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Pork Belly Glaze Ingredients
1 cup yellow mustard
1/2 cup toasted mustard seeds
1/8 cup red pepper flakes
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
3 cups water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
3 pounds pork belly (slab bacon)
10 fresh rolls
¼ pound baby kale
Cabbage Marinade Directions
Take all ingredients and combine in a plastic bowl. Allow cabbage to marinate overnight.
Combine all the glaze ingredients in a saucepan and reduce by half, about 30 minutes, then cool completely. The mixture will be on acidic side but will sweeten up once glazed on the pork belly.
Pork Belly Directions
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- In a roasting pan over medium-high heat, sear the pork belly on each side until lightly brown, about 5 minutes per side.
- Add the glaze to the pork belly in the roasting pan.
- Place the roasting pan in the oven and cook for 8 hours, basting the pork belly with glaze every 30 minutes. If the glaze begins to over-reduce and caramelize too much, add about a cup of water to the pan.
- Allow the pork belly to cool.
- Slice the pork belly into bite-sized pieces, and divide into 12 portions.
- Place the rolls in a hot oven or on a grill to lightly toast.
- Place a portion of pork belly on a toasted roll.
- Combine some of the cabbage, a couple of tablespoons of the cabbage marinade and some kale. Then add to the pork belly on the bun. Repeat with the rest of the ingredients.
Makes 10 full-sized or 20 slider-sized sandwiches.