Jersey Bites

Sunday Leftovers = Pot Roast Enchiladas

use leftovers to create enchiladas with Rotel, Peppers and Onions

This Dish was selected as a Top Ten Finalist in the Rotel Recipe Contest. Please click on the image to vote us the winner by June 30th. http://www.rotelacrossamerica.com/recipes/pot-roast-enchiladas/

On Saturday night, I made my very first Pot Roast. I know, I know. How could I have never made a Pot Roast before? Well, to be honest, when you’re searching for “Food with Attitude” Pot Roast just doesn’t jump to the top of the list. And, to be really honest, it probably won’t be on my list of “have to haves” any time soon. In my opinion, pretty boring.

Leftovers, on the other hand, were anything but. These puppies absolutely melt in your mouth. I realized quickly after Googling “Leftover Pot Roast Enchiladas” that I was not alone in this discovery. In fact, it may be quite a common use for leftover PR.

Once I was on my way to making Enchiladas, I realized that I had no Enchilada sauce. Back to Google to find a fairly simple recipe. My only problem was that I didn’t have any canned Tomato Sauce. So, back to Google once again to find a substitution for canned Tomato Sauce. Low and behold, I found a great website Ingredient Substitutions where I learned that 1 cup of water + (1 ) 6 oz. can of Tomato Paste = 15 oz. can of Tomato Sauce. Who knew? Well, maybe you did, but I had no idea.

I’m not going to print the excellent Enchilada Sauce recipe, but you can Go Here to get it. I did make two adjustments to the recipe. I added about a half a teaspoon of salt and about a teaspoon or so of Chipotle chili in adobo sauce. I keep it frozen, so it’s hard to tell what is Adobo sauce and what is actually pepper. Keeps things interesting.

Ok, so while the sauce was simmering, I chopped up one onion and one green bell pepper and sauted them in a little olive oil.

Next, I shredded the left over Pot Roast. I didn’t weigh what was left over so it is impossible to give you exact measurements for this recipe. But, I’ve got lots of pictures (having fun with my new camera) to give you an idea of the ratios.

After the peppers and onions were done, I mixed them with the meat, about a half cup of black beans, one can of drained Rotel (my favorite ingredient) and a few ladles of the Enchilada sauce. You can see the consistency of the mixture below.

Then it was time to fill each tortilla. I used Whole Wheat.

Spread a couple of ladles of Enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 13 X 9 inch baking pan. Line up your Enchiladas like little soldiers all seam side down.

Cover with the rest of the Enchilada Sauce.

Add cheddar cheese or your favorite Mexican blend, cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve by itself or over your favorite rice. I served it over brown rice and delish.

No leftover Pot Roast? Get yourself a Roaster chicken and shred the meat. Follow all the directions exactly as you would with shredded beef. Shredded pork, same thing.

Join our email list - it's free!
Enter your Email:
Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz

Author:Deborah Smith, Executive Editor

Deborah Smith is the Founder and Publisher of JerseyBites.com, a collaborative website focused on food news in New Jersey.

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

17 Responses to “Sunday Leftovers = Pot Roast Enchiladas”

1. Michele
    January 12, 2009 at 7:52 pm #

I love using leftovers to make new meals! Your enchiladas look great! They are so versatile you can use leftover chicken, pot roast, ground meat, basically anything to make enchiladas! Awesome post!

2. www.recipemashups.com/
    January 13, 2009 at 11:20 am #

Looks good! As someone from New Mexico, I can vouch for using just about anything we can find, left over roast including in enchiladas or burritos! There’s nothing you can’t eat with a flour tortilla. Enjoyed your blog.

3. Donna-FFW
    January 14, 2009 at 8:35 pm #

I always have leftover pot roast. What a unique idea on how to use. I am so trying this one!

4. Donna-FFW
    February 5, 2009 at 9:01 pm #

I so like this recipe, lo ve the idea of it, I hope you don’t mind, I linked to it in my current post. Thanks!

5. Karen
    February 22, 2009 at 7:09 pm #

I just slid two pans of these enchiladas into the oven. Can’t wait to eat them! Thanks so much for the recipe. I never would have thought to make this with my leftover pot roast (there was a TON because I didn’t cook it quite long enough and it was awful).
    I’m going to teach my teen boys to make this dish with leftovers so they can always eat great food in college.

6. Hi, nice post. I have been pondering this topic,so thanks for posting. I will definitely be subscribing to your site.

7. Lisa
    January 7, 2010 at 11:56 pm #

I made a pot roast for my fiance’s nephew and girlfriend when they visited from California. Well no one ate it because it was “too much meat”. Are you kidding me? Anyway, two days later, the pot roast was screaming too be eaten. I Googled ‘leftover pot roast recipes’ and up popped this lovely option. The pictures included with this post are awesome and a helpful guide. Let me just say that I will remember this and keep as one of the best ideas to create a new meal from leftover pot roast and chicken. Thank you so much for this option. Everyone ate this time and they couldn’t stop raving. HA! I luv it.

8. January 8, 2010 at 8:50 am #

Thanks Lisa, you made my day. I love to hear when people enjoy something I’ve posted. So glad you finally got the family to eat. ;)

9. Brad T.
    February 12, 2010 at 9:44 pm #

Great idea for leftover pot roast. I made it this evening and it was great. I enjoyed more than the pot roast itself the other night. I would suggest sprinkling some fresh chopped cilantro on top before serving.

10. February 13, 2010 at 9:55 am #

Thanks Brad, glad you enjoyed it. And, absolutely agree, EVERYTHING is better with cilantro as far as I’m concerned.

11. Eliza
    February 23, 2010 at 10:19 am #

This looks fabulous! Thanks for the great idea.

12. March 1, 2010 at 10:03 pm #

Thanks for the tip. Enchiladas sound like a great way to use up leftovers. I’ve got some chicken in the fridge I can use right now.

13. Beth
    April 6, 2011 at 10:10 am #

I made these last night and they were absolutely delicious!!! Better than any restaurant. It will now be a staple in my house with leftover pot roast. Thank you…

14. April 6, 2011 at 10:43 am #

yey, Beth, so glad you enjoyed them. It’s been a while since I’ve had them. I think I need to put them on the list too. Thanks for sharing.

15. Diana
    September 23, 2011 at 11:13 pm #

I made a pot roast for the first time this week, myself! I Googled for something to do with the meat and found your page. I had all the ingredients on hand, followed the instructions for the sauce, etc. It was great! First time making enchiladas, too. Thanks for this! :)

16. maria
    August 30, 2013 at 9:20 pm #

Looks great, but that’s not enchiladas. That’s a wet burrito. Enchiladas are made with corn tortillas.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks